Latest Acupuncture News
- New - Acupuncture Lowers Blood Sugar for Obese Diabetics
- Flying Acupuncture Helps Sleep & Beats Drug - New Research
- New Biochemical Acupuncture Athletic Performance Research
- New MRI Acupuncture Study Finds Stomach & Heart Point Specificity
- Asparagus Reduces High Blood Pressure - New Discovery
- Fibromyalgia Patients Seek Acupuncture - New Finding
- Acupuncture Post-Op Halts Nausea & Vomiting - New Study
- Acupuncture Reduces Cocaine Seizures & Death - New Study
- Acupuncture Program Cut in Canada
- Chinese Medicine Dietetics Live Video for Acupuncture CEUs
24 July 2010
New research shows that the herbal formula Yi Gan San exhibits neuroprotective effects and rescues dopaminergic neurons from toxicity. The Acupuncture & Meridian Science Research Center at Kyung Hee University conducted research showing that Yi Gan San is correctly used for the management of neurodegenerative disorders. Yi Gan San showed significant neuroprotection in an induced Parkinsonian mouse model. The study notes that “in the mouse Parkinson's disease model, treatment with Yi-Gan San also significantly improved motor functioning and prevented dopaminergic loss.” In another study, 'The Journal of Brain Disease' reported that Yi Gan San may be helpful in treating schizophrenia and many neuropsychological disorders because it has been shown to restore glutathione levels in the brain. In yet another study published in 'Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry', the Shimane School of Medicine concluded that Yi Gan San is a serotonin modulator and is a “safe and useful” formula for treating behavioural and psychological symptoms of dementia and borderline personality disorder. That study also shows a statistically significant improvement in tardive dyskinesia, psychosis, schizophrenia.
An Acupuncturist-Hebalist View
Yi Gan San (Restrain the Liver Powder) contains Dang Gui, Fu Ling, Bai Zhu, Gou Teng, Chuan Xiong, Chai Hu, and Gan Cao. This formula is often used for headaches, dizziness, anxiety, panic attacks, teeth grinding, chills & fever, seizures, palpitations, infantile epilepsy, disturbed dreams, insomnia, and spasms. Traditionally this formula quells rebellious Liver Qi and treats Liver Blood deficiency.
|< Prev||Next >|